Bluescope Rail Bridge
Client: BlueScope Steel, Fluor Australia, Cardno
Location: BHP Industrial Complex, Port Kembla
Task: Repair an operationally critical high capacity rail bridge. Operations could only cease for 4 hours allowing a short time window for repair and curing.
Andersal Site Supervisor: Eddie Issa
Special Challenge: This is a “Zero tolerance” accident site with stringent OH&S procedures.
Each Risk Analysis , Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) was reviewed by Safety and Quality Assurance experts from both Fluor & Blue Scope.
Andersal’s work on this project was recognised when Andersal was awarded a Certificate of Merit at the 2008 ACRA Awards. ACRA (Australian Concrete Repair Association) is the premier industry organisation dealing with concrete repairs. Andersal General Manager Henk van den Heuvel has been a strong supporter, Board Member and is the immediate past President. (The awards are administered by an independant extrenal panel)
Solution: Andersal was selected because of our proposed hydro-demolition solution, commitment to a restrictive timetable and our total technical solution. The process involved:
- Andersal erected custom scaffolding.
- Willall provided hydro-demolition. This removed the concrete and cleaned the steel.
- The steel was further grid blasted by Willall.
- A special coating was applied to the steel.
- Andersal erected custom form work.
- Andersal mixed and poured the Parchem Patchroc C product. This was a challenge. Up to 80 – 20kg bags of of Patchroc C were used per repair. This was all done by hand as only 10 minutes were allowed before the concrete started to set. The setting concrete was very hot and required continuous cooling with water.
- About 32 MPA was achieved in 2 hours.
- About 65 MPA was achieved in 24 hours.
- We applied a SIKA grey coloured protective coating to prevent water penetration and minimize the corrosive process in the future.
- The team worked 7am to 7pm for 7 days of back breaking work.
BlueScope Steel, Fluor Australia and Cardno rated this a very successful project.