The design of the tower (cupola) is in the Edwardian Mannerist Baroque style with broken arched pediments which spring from cartouches, surrounding the clock faces and four bold obelisks marking the corners. On top of the tower is a large metal framed glazed sphere.
Structural and facade repairs to the roof and parapet walls were required to fix major leaks as well as preservation and repairs to the clock tower, cupola, flagpole and sandstone parapet walls.
- Clean rust and apply protective coating to the steel drum, tie beams and plates
- Conserve the clock frames and repaint to reduce water penetration to the clock face
- Repairs to the copper tiled roof and timber
- Reinstate timber lightning rods
- Replace iron cladding
- The rotted timber flagpole was repaired
- Removal of steel fixings and repairs to sandstone and brickwork
- Kill vegetation growth from parapet walls
- Treat corrosion of window arch bars and apply protective coating
- Investigate structural strength of leaning wall
- Render repairs